Hello!

If you would like to participate in discussions, please sign in or register.

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week

Due to changing needs and technologies, the SMT Executive Board has decided to retire SMT Discuss (effective Nov. 9, 2021). Posts will be preserved for archival purposes, but new posts and replies are no longer permitted.

Combined computer lab and piano/keyboard lab

Colleagues,

I wonder if anyone has experience with a space that doubles as computer lab and piano/keyboard lab.  (Currently my institution has a separate room for each, but I can't help but think that there might be some innovative furniture or equipment that could improve upon this--perhaps some way to quickly turn a keyboard into a computer desk and vice versa....)

Thank you for any thoughts and/or experiences you're willing to share.

Best wishes, 

Jeremy 

Jeremy Day-O'Connell

Associate Professor and Chair

Music Department

Skidmore College

Sign In or Register to comment.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
    • Hi Jeremy, I'm sure you might know this already.  Weighted keyboard controllers are essential for a pianistic interface which hook directly to any computer/software you use.  If there are no weighted controller keyboards any laptop can can record piano as audio with the onboard microphone or with a simple audio interface and external microphone.  In the latter situation you would record the piano as audio.  There are programs that convert audio to midi information (but I haven't used them) in the event that you wanted to use notation software with recorded information.  There is a lot of very good free legal software available like Audacity and even Finale has a free notation program.  Of course most software companies offer academic versions at reduced prices or for use in labs.  

• Since you haven't received much feedback on this, I'll just pipe in and recommend that you get in touch with the Music Technology Center at the University of Northern Colorado: http://arts.unco.edu/music/music-technology. ; They have both a computer lab with keyboard midi controllers at each station, and a piano lab (weighted electronic pianos) with laptops attached to each piano.  You might also consider contacting Toby Rush (now at the University of Dayton: https://udayton.edu/directory/artssciences/music/rush_tobias.php), who worked with the labs at UNC for quite a few years and still does some work with Music pedagogical technologies.