Hello!

If you would like to participate in discussions, please sign in or register.

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week

Due to changing needs and technologies, the SMT Executive Board has decided to retire SMT Discuss (effective Nov. 9, 2021). Posts will be preserved for archival purposes, but new posts and replies are no longer permitted.

Ideas for Aural Skills Transcription Projects

Hi all,

I'm interested in your thoughts about the implementation of transcription projects in aural skills that are centered around transcribing music for which there is no accessible score. I'm hoping to use music for which there is no score for several reasons:

1. I'd like to try to diversify the kinds of music that my students are engaging with.

2. I've had a lot of issues with cheating in other classes at my institution, and I'm concerned that students will just have Google listen to the recording, tell them the piece, and then simply find the score and copy directly from there.

3. There is also something very artificial and contrived about having students transcribe music for which scores are easily accesible. When would they ever need to do this in real life?

The main issue that I'm thinking about is assessment. I don't have time to try to transcribe lots of music, and even if I did, the idea of grading the accuracy of a transcription of music for which there is no score seems problematic. I like the structure of Megan Long's project that she uses here: https://hcommons.org/deposits/item/hc:27839/, but she doesn't provide much information on grading something like this.

I guess I don't have any specific questions at this point, but am more interested to hear what other people have done and what you've learned in the process.

Thanks!