Hello!

If you would like to participate in discussions, please sign in or register.

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week

Due to changing needs and technologies, the SMT Executive Board has decided to retire SMT Discuss (effective Nov. 9, 2021). Posts will be preserved for archival purposes, but new posts and replies are no longer permitted.

Precedent for triangular rhythmic series

An expanding triangular series for an integer n is 1, 2, ... , n-1, n, and a contracting triangular series for an integer n is the retrograde of the expanding triangular series for n.

By setting 1 to a unit of time, either series can be realized as a rhythm in which the rhythm's ordered series of inter-onset intervals is an expanding or contracting triangular series, measured according to this unit.

I can think of isolated examples of such a rhythmic series. But I'm wondering if there is a composer or type of music for whom/which this sort of thing is a distinctive aspect, assuming n of sufficient size (and variety) to be distinctive.

Thanks,

-Scott Murphy