Hello!

If you would like to participate in discussions, please sign in or register.

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week

Due to changing needs and technologies, the SMT Executive Board has decided to retire SMT Discuss (effective Nov. 9, 2021). Posts will be preserved for archival purposes, but new posts and replies are no longer permitted.

MFA vs MA

Dear Colleagues,

There has been some discussion among my colleagues (for the most part, composers) in the music department at Mills College about consolidating our graduate MA and MFA programs. We offer an MA in Composition an MFA in Performance and Literature (emphases in chamber music performance and Improvisation) and an MFA in Electronic Media. Although we are a small college, we have accomplished alumni/ae, some of whom go on to doctoral programs.

The conventional wisdom is that an MA is "track" for students who wish to continue in a doctoral program.  Is this still the case? 

Sincerely,

David Bernstein