Hello!

If you would like to participate in discussions, please sign in or register.

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week

Due to changing needs and technologies, the SMT Executive Board has decided to retire SMT Discuss (effective Nov. 9, 2021). Posts will be preserved for archival purposes, but new posts and replies are no longer permitted.

Another example of a classical composer moving through "Horner space"

The film composer James Horner died two years ago today. Horner was fond of cruising through what Frank Lehman in an article in Music Theory Spectrum (35/1) called "Horner Space," which is a directed cyclical arrangement of all twenty-four major triads: C-e-G-b-Bb-d-F-a-Ab-c-Eb-g-Gb-bb-Db-f-E-g#-B-d#-D-f#-A-c#--C... (Each triad is directed toward the one to its right.) This arrangement alternates major and minor triads, and groups the succession of triads into six quartets by the repeating root-motion pitch-class pattern of up M3 from a major triad to a minor triad, then up m3, then up M3, and finally down m2 to connect to the next quartet; each quartet can therefore be positioned in regsister a whole step below the previous. (A more general labeling using transformational labels -- like L, R, and S -- cannot define directed Horner space this precisely.)

A film composer's sequential path through this space typically does not use all the triads of each quartet; rather, only two or three in each quartet are used, and the remaining triads in the quartet are skipped over. If the chords in each quartet are numbered in order 1 through 4 (for example, 1 = C, 2 = e, 3 = G, 4 = b), then this quartet subset can therefore be succinctly represented with a series of numbers. For instance, 134 would represent a progression such as a-Ab-Eb-g-Gb-Db-f-E-B (4-1-3-4-1-3-4-1-3), which can be found a little ways into Horner's main title for A Beautiful Mind

Horner and other film composers use different paths through this directed space in creating descending major-second sequences in recent movies: 12, 14, and 134 are the ones I hear the most often. A couple of years ago, I shared with the FMIG (Film and Multimedia Interest Group) community an example from classical music that moves through Horner space: the beginning of Variation VII of Reger's Variations on a Theme of Mozart, which uses a 12 (F-a-Eb-g). For this anniversary, I thought I would share another one: rehearsal 1 (and again at later points in the symphony) in the first movement of Prokofiev's Fourth Symphony, which uses a 14 (C-b-Bb-a-Ab-g).

Maybe I or someone else will find (or you already know of, and would share) a 134 in pre-Horner art music. In the meantime, requiescat in pace, James Horner.

-Scott Murphy, University of Kansas