Hello!

If you would like to participate in discussions, please sign in or register.

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week

Due to changing needs and technologies, the SMT Executive Board has decided to retire SMT Discuss (effective Nov. 9, 2021). Posts will be preserved for archival purposes, but new posts and replies are no longer permitted.

Females in Music-Making, Lullabies, and Soprano-as-Melody

A recent discussion by David Huron, Corralling the Chorale: Moving Away from SATB, presented a compelling argument for finding new ways to present voice leading without the constraints of Baroque chorales.  Commenting, I picked one bone of contention with the statement quoted below.  I copy my response after in the hopes that we might discuss the topic further.

Throughout history and in nearly every documented culture, we have evidence of a pervasive prejudice against women. In many cultures, women's participation in music making was actively discouraged, highly restricted, or simply forbidden.

This applies to public music-making.  A mother or stand-in is and has been, of course, the primary singer of lullabies to her children.  Interesting to note that this tends to be a solo performance (my wife and I sing in harmony and heterophony, in addition to monophony, to our children).  I wonder if there is any reason thus that we tend to be conditioned to hearing highest-voice melodies.  In barbershop perhaps we don't seek the same effect since the voices are male. [So, the female voice tends to be the first singing voice a person hears in their life.]