Hello!

If you would like to participate in discussions, please sign in or register.

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week

Due to changing needs and technologies, the SMT Executive Board has decided to retire SMT Discuss (effective Nov. 9, 2021). Posts will be preserved for archival purposes, but new posts and replies are no longer permitted.

Inside Higher Ed: Killing the Conference Interview

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/09/09/economists-end-single-hotel-room-interviews-and-historians-end-conference-interviews

The American Historical Association recently has stopped the practice of interviews at their annual meeting. The American Economic Association ended single hotel room interviews at their annual meeting.

While I understand the convenience of offering interviews for job openings during our annual meeting for the Society for Music Theory, I believe our organization should look into ending the practice as well. There are a couple of compelling reasons why we should not continue this practice.

First, not everyone can afford to travel to the annual meeting. Air travel is increasingly expensive with decreasing options at regional airports. Furthermore, some people (especially those in adjunct roles) may not be allowed to take the time off to attend the conference due to their contractual responsibilities. 

Second, there is the possible for an uncomfortable dynamic in these interviews, especially depending on what rooms are available for the interviews. Single hotel room interviews are just unacceptable in 2019. I am under the belief that this is an incredibly uncommon practice for the SMT, but I would like to see the society formally stop this practice. 

Third, it takes time away from the conference itself. I generally go to the conference to see some papers and socialize with peers. Again, as convenient it is to host an interview at the annual conference, it actually takes away from the purpose of the conference which is to openly share scholarship and build long lasting connections.

With the ubiquity of video conferencing, there is little need for in-person interviews for the first round these days, especially at an event that everyone cannot make (for whatever reason). In the pursuit of fairness and to also curb any possible venue for misconduct, I would advocate that SMT should consider ending the practice of interviews at the annual conference meeting. 

Devin Chaloux

Indiana University