Hello!

If you would like to participate in discussions, please sign in or register.

Most Popular This Week

Due to changing needs and technologies, the SMT Executive Board has decided to retire SMT Discuss (effective Nov. 9, 2021). Posts will be preserved for archival purposes, but new posts and replies are no longer permitted.

Theory text sought

Dear Colleagues,

In a few weeks I will be taking up a position as visiting professor of music at Delhi University in India. Although it is a very large “Central University” the focus in the music department, like at most Indian Universities and music institutions, is almost exclusively on Indian classical music, with some attention to Indian folk music and a little to ethnomusicology. Western music is not taught or well understood. This is quite different from the situations in, say, Japan or China where Western music is taught, often at very high levels, and there are Western orchestras, etc., and a significant cultural awareness and appreciation of Western music.

Delhi University has, for the first time, introduced a required course in “Western music” for all MA students this year. I will be teaching this course.

Given the students’ limited familiarity with western music, their inability to read staff notation, etc., the class will be a combination of a music appreciation 101-type course and music theory 1. In addition, since the students are all trained singers, I will make extensive use of this skill and have them “learn by doing.” (Incidentally and instructively, I taught a few workshops at Delhi U. in January, and by using the Indian solfege system (sa-re-ga-ma) I was able to teach them the soprano and bass parts to a Bach chorale and perform it in two parts. In 5 minutes they sounded much better than my Americn theory students, some of whom play instruments but are weak singers. . . ) It was thrilling.

All of this is to say that I am looking for textbooks. There are some excellent online resources and the students are very tech savvy. However, old dog that I am, I believe a textbook is essential.

I have decided to use Tom Manoff’s “The Music Kit” (4th Edition) which is a good all-around fundamentals text. However, the price—even for used copies—is exorbitant in Indian rupees and far beyond the reach of the students. (I've searched extensively at Amazon an Alibris, etc.)

If you might have a spare copy or two of this particular book (I’m looking for the 4th edition “Workbook”, not the accompanying “Rhythm Reader and Scorebook”) that you are not using or will not use, I and they would be grateful if you could pass them along to me. Used copies are fine. I will reimburse you for postage, packing, and shipping costs. The Fulbright organization and the US Embassy will then bulk ship the books to India for me.

(If you have other extra music theory books, scores, ethnomusicology or  orchestration books you are not using, and which are cluttering up your office, like they are mine, I can donate those to their music library, which is out-of-date and has a very limited collection of materials on Western music. But we should discuss these selections first.)

My main focus is Manoff’s “The Music Kit” (4th Edition) for the course I will be teaching.

Please email me privately if you may be of help in this matter.

With sincere thanks,

David Claman

Associate Professor of Music

Lehman College-CUNY

david.claman@lehman.cuny.edu