Hello!

If you would like to participate in discussions, please sign in or register.

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week

Due to changing needs and technologies, the SMT Executive Board has decided to retire SMT Discuss (effective Nov. 9, 2021). Posts will be preserved for archival purposes, but new posts and replies are no longer permitted.

AMS Statement on the Banning of Immigrants and Refugees

Dear Colleagues,

I’m sure we have a number of SMT members who are also members of AMS—I am.  For those who are not, you may be interested to learn that the AMS has issued a strongly worded statement in opposition to the executive order that closed our borders to residents of a number of foreign countries.  The statement can be found here:  http://www.ams-net.org/AMS-condemns-executive-order.php

I can attest that this executive action has had a significant impact on my university, which like so many research universities serves students from around the world and also has a number of foreign-born faculty members.  Quite independent of our individual institutions, both scholarship (think conferences) and performance (think touring ensembles) are by their very nature international.

Cheers,

Stephen Peles