Hello!

If you would like to participate in discussions, please sign in or register.

Most Popular This Week

Due to changing needs and technologies, the SMT Executive Board has decided to retire SMT Discuss (effective Nov. 9, 2021). Posts will be preserved for archival purposes, but new posts and replies are no longer permitted.

More on the Eternal Topic of Six-Four Chords

edited December 2016 in Theory

Dear Colleagues,

I wanted to briefly address a few points related to the eternal topic – 6/4 chords. By doing this, I do not expect to change your opinion, but to let you know how a large group of musicians around the world think and feel about this.

1. From pedagogical point of view, I would teach all six-four chords in the theory I period, dividing them into two groups: weak and strong, in a similar way they are presented in the Kostka/Payne "Tonal Harmony" and many other books. For me, it does not make sense to study the weak six-fours near the end of the theory II period, after non-chord tones, making the students wait for two semesters to learn how to harmonize a simple "do-re-mi" or "fa-sol-la" bass line, for example. Besides, occasionally the cadential six-four fuses with an accented passing tonic six-four – an interesting event which could be heard in the main theme of Mozart's Rondo a la Turka (mm 20-21).

2. I strongly disagree with the allegation that "all six-four chords are dissonant". Weak six-four chords are not dissonant. I very much doubt that in a simple waltz or polka one hears alternations between consonant tonics (T5) and dissonant tonics (T6/4, via arpeggiated six-four)...Neither are the passing and pedal six-four chords dissonant. In fact, second inversion triads do substitute for a root position triad when special conditions are created for that. These conditions are impersonalized namely in the passing, pedal and arpeggiated 6/4 chords.

By nature, the perfect fourth is never a true dissonance, because it is an inversion of a perfect consonance. However, depending on context, it is heard as a simulated dissonance under those circumstances outlined in my article on K6/4:

a) when it is a non-chord tone;

b) when it is a member of a chord whose dissonant quality depends on the presence of a true dissonance such a seventh, ninth or a second;

c) when it is a member of a typical accented six-four chord such as the cadential six-four whose bass becomes a prominent acoustic phenomenon demanding its own overtones.

The above dissonant character of the fourth is not present in the typical weak major or minor six-four chords – passing, pedal, or arpeggiated – all of which are weak representatives of an original fifth chord (5/3). Even when an arpeggiated six-four chord falls on an accented beat, it is still a consonant triad!

If you play three different progressions: 1) I - V - I   2) I - V6 - I, and 3) I - V6/4 - I6, you will hear the functional T-D-T exchange from its strongest expression (1), to its weakest expression (3). There are no "dissonant fourths" here, and no harmonic conflict within the D chord itself is manifest. You may put V6/4 in parenthesis if you wish, you may say that, depending on the tempo, it extends the surrounding tonic harmony, but labeling it as V6/4 is correct, because it matches the mind's perception of functional harmonic exchange.

On the contrary, labeling the cadential six-four as V6/4 is erroneous and confusing: while a true dominant with suspensions may be directly connected with the tonic and still produce an authentic resolution (for example V7/4 - I), the cadential six-four cannot do that (V6/4 - I?) - it needs a "moderator" between itself and the tonic, for it is not a genuine dominant chord. Behind the D-T connection a whole array of self-sufficient dominant chords may stand, but the cadential six-four may not stand there alone. This is why no musical piece ever ends with V/6/4 - I...such cadence does not exist.

Practical piano accompaniment and three part women's choirs often make use of close position 6/4 chords which carry the main function of a fifth chord (5/3). Amazingly, 6/4s are more freely treated in such textures.

Finally, with all due respect, I think that Schenkerian and post-Schenkerian theories seem too detached from real music making, and too narrowly-focused to be able to generate a harmony book with a broad discourse on functional harmony in general, and on convincing presentation of six-four chords in particular.

I will not enter the role of Gordano Bruno who, before being burnt at the stake, cried out: "Nevertheless, is spins!" but I will declare calmly, "Nevertheless, second inversion major and minor triads do exist, and in certain conditions they do function as representatives of their parent chords!" I hope nobody will burn me at the stake for this statement :)

Thank you for your attention. I will appreciate any opinions on that topic.

Best regards,

Dimitar

Dr. Dimitar Ninov

Texas State University, San Marcos

USA