Hello!

If you would like to participate in discussions, please sign in or register.

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week

Due to changing needs and technologies, the SMT Executive Board has decided to retire SMT Discuss (effective Nov. 9, 2021). Posts will be preserved for archival purposes, but new posts and replies are no longer permitted.

Music Theory Bridges blog posts

I'd like to share a few recent posts from my blog dedicated to putting pop/rock/jazz and "traditional" repertoires/concepts side by side. (Traditional, that is, from the perspective of conservatory training.) I'm not sure how successful I am in this, but I intend for the blog to be accessible and interesting to both music theorists and a broader music-educated public, so I do try to keep posts short and readable even if it means sacrificing some scholarly rigor. I sometimes direct my students to these posts to encourage them to see a broader view on some of the concepts we're studying, and I try to tag posts with the kind of class I feel they're relevant to (e.g., "chromatic harmony," "diatonic harmony," "form," etc.). I hope some of you find these interesting, and please feel free to leave comments.

One last thing--I would love to feature guest posts (Scott Murphy wrote a nice one in January 2015). If anyone is interested, feel free to run your idea by me. Thanks!

Sonata form transition vs. verse-chorus pre-chorus

The dominant's fall from dominance

Parts Upon a Ground

Singers, written music, and syncopation