Hello!

If you would like to participate in discussions, please sign in or register.

Most Popular This Week

Due to changing needs and technologies, the SMT Executive Board has decided to retire SMT Discuss (effective Nov. 9, 2021). Posts will be preserved for archival purposes, but new posts and replies are no longer permitted.

A Tale of Two Tunes

Recently in Essays & Endnotes: Continuing my analysis of Messiaen's Île de feu 1 & 2 under the blog post thread 'Broken Symmetries':

.....A Tale of Two Tunes.....

Île de feu 1 and Île de feu 2 were both composed in 1950 when Messiaen was at Tanglewood. Scholars have commented that the themes of the two pieces are related music-theoretically beyond sharing Papuan origins/flavors as suggested by Messiaen himself. But while much has been written about these two works, a great deal of it on the famous 'interversions' in Île de feu 2, I have found relatively little analysis that seals the claim about specific connections between the themes. There are, in fact, three structural relationships between the themes. I'm discussing them in three separate blog entries:

Broken Symmetries 3.1: Rhythmic structure

Broken Symmetries 3.2: Pitch content

– Broken Symmetries 3.3: Tonality, a.k.a. Strange attractors. [UNDER CONSTRUCTION]

Tagged: