Hello!

If you would like to participate in discussions, please sign in or register.

Most Popular This Week

Due to changing needs and technologies, the SMT Executive Board has decided to retire SMT Discuss (effective Nov. 9, 2021). Posts will be preserved for archival purposes, but new posts and replies are no longer permitted.

Seeking the Source of a Composition Attributed to Neefe

I’m trying to track down the source of a little composition attributed to Christian Gottlob Neefe in various piano-teaching collections. Here’s a link to one such appearance. I’m looking for an authoritative score (urtext, critical edition, or other well-documented source), but at the very least I’d like to know if it’s a stand-alone work or if it’s a movement from a larger work, and what the original title is.

I’ve written to editors and publishers of these piano collections, reaching nothing but dead ends.

I found the following keyboard compositions by Neefe listed in the New Grove online:

• 12 Klaviersonaten (1773), ed. in Denkmäler rheinischer Musik, x–xi (Düsseldorf, 1961)

• 6 neue Klaviersonaten (1774) [incl. 2 sets of variations in supple.]

• Pf Sonata, 6 polonaises, 6 minuets in Vademecum (1780)

• 2 sets of variations (Bonn, 1793)

• 6 pièces d'une exécution facile tirées de … Die Zauberflöte, pf/hpd 4 hands (Bonn, 1793)

• Fantasia, hpd (Bonn, 1797)

• miscellaneous smaller works, incl. 2 early sonatinas, in J.A. Hiller: Wöchentliche Nachrichten (1768, 1770)

I’m wondering if anyone happens to know which of these larger works or collections (or where else) this work comes from. I’d greatly appreciate any leads you might provide.

Gary S. Karpinski

Coordinator of Music Theory

Department of Music and Dance

University of Massachusetts

Amherst, MA 01003

garykarp@music.umass.edu