Hello!

If you would like to participate in discussions, please sign in or register.

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week

Due to changing needs and technologies, the SMT Executive Board has decided to retire SMT Discuss (effective Nov. 9, 2021). Posts will be preserved for archival purposes, but new posts and replies are no longer permitted.

Online music appreciation course (the germ of a music wiki?)

edited September 2014 in New and Noteworthy

First of all I'd like to say I feel a bit uncomfortable talking about my own website (in the "New and Noteworthy" category at that). If it's something unwelcome on this forum, I will remove the thread. Having said that, I've not made a penny out of it so far, and it doesn't look like I ever will.

My website aims to explain musical forms in an accessible way - a kind of online music appreciation course, but one that concentrates on forms.

www.music-planet.org

Initially I just wanted to create a decent source of information about musical forms, but with the situation worldwide getting worse each time I check the news, I've decided to do my best to see if music can change the world. The problem is that I'm not sure how much of that is clear to someone without appropriate ear-training. Maybe some additional introductory exercises would be a good idea. I'm not a professional so the only idea I've come up with is this: the two melodies below have one different note (each note represented by one square); the user has to click on the square that corresponds to the different note.

two melodies

There could also be exercises that ask the user if the second melody has been transposed upwards or downwards, if it has speeded up or slowed down or if the instrument has changed or not. Another good idea to explain what development is all about is to compare Lutoslawski's paraphrase of Paganini's Caprice with the original - or the consecutive variations in any theme and variations.

Another application I've come up with for the squares I use in my visualisations is to compare two or more performances of the same piece (with some kind of user discussion, perhaps). Quite a lot of things I'll certainly never be able to do by myself - all of which could help bring people closer to the wonderful intricacies of serious music. I tried showing my website on Khan Academy's forum, but they've got their own series of videos on musical forms and it seems to have gone unnoticed.

Thank you for your time!

Pawel Wysocki

Tagged: