Hello!

If you would like to participate in discussions, please sign in or register.

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week

Due to changing needs and technologies, the SMT Executive Board has decided to retire SMT Discuss (effective Nov. 9, 2021). Posts will be preserved for archival purposes, but new posts and replies are no longer permitted.

Help, keepers of the canon!

Hi all,

To what extent are the following two examples conventional/schematic in classical/romantic repertories/pedagogies?

1. Bass line do-te-LA-sol-do at a cadence supporting Cm - Cm/Bb - D7/A - G7 - Cm

2. Connection of I6/3 to ii7 via a dim7 chord such that the highest voice descends 5-b5-4 and the lowest voice descends 3-b3-2

Thanks for the help!

Stephen

Sign In or Register to comment.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
    • 1. Can't cite one off the top of my head. My guess is it won't so easily be found in Three-B's German/Viennese (and the other European canonic composers) as it might elsewhere--Spain/Mediterranean, etc.? Also, there's the possibility that it wouldn't appear as baldly as it would in a pop tune, but rather "passed through" via other motion, NCTs, and so on. I'll think about this!

2. Likewise, I can think of tons of pop & ragtime that does this a century & more ago, but can't pin it down in "classical." Sure ought to be in the post-Civil-War American composers--MacDowell, etc.? Maybe also in the pedagogical side of piano literature---Heller, Czerny, etc.---more stereotypically than the concert works.

Good luck!

• 1. The canonic improbability here is its Cm resolution, as the A-natural sets up our expectation for the parallel major (C). One might find such a cadential formula, however, in a dramatic moment in (say) Massenet, where (say) a villainous character unexpectedly delivers the fatal thrust in a duel.

2. I'd go to Liszt's lieder for this, quite a possibile half-cadence to reflect a wistful mood.

Hoping this may help,

Jonathan Elkus