Hello!

If you would like to participate in discussions, please sign in or register.

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week

Due to changing needs and technologies, the SMT Executive Board has decided to retire SMT Discuss (effective Nov. 9, 2021). Posts will be preserved for archival purposes, but new posts and replies are no longer permitted.

Post-tonal lead-ins?

Does anyone know a good example of an Eingang (lead-in) from a composition written in a post-tonal or atonal idiom? Thank you!

Sign In or Register to comment.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
    • Some good examples are Schoenberg, op. 14, no. 1, mm. 1–3; op. 15, no. 14, m. 1; and op. 21, no. 17, m. 1 with the pickup (the canonic entries in the viola and clarinet prepare the vocal entry). Another is op. 21, no. 8, mm. 1–2, although some might consider it a kind of motto. Other examples that are more accompanimental (which some might understood as its own category) are op. 11, no. 2, m. 1; op. 19, no. 2, mm. 1–2; and op. 19, no. 6, mm. 1–2.

• Thank you Matthew. Those are very helpful. Are there any examples of lead-ins that connect the end of one section to the start of another in the manner of a Mozart Concerto Rondo, for example?

Much appreciated!

Tim

• Sorry for the delay, Tim. If I understand you correctly, you are thinking of lead-ins as including bridges (short connective passages). I want to suggest that lead-ins and bridges are totally different. I raise this issue in “Form – Function – Content,” Music Theory Spectrum 40/2 (2018): 218–26. Lead-ins are primarily preparatory (not connective), and lead-ins can and often do come directly after bridges. A tonal example of this situation is Beethoven, op. 92, I, mm. 61–62 with pickup (bridge) and mm. 63–67 with pickup (lead-in). A non-tonal example is Schoenberg, op. 11, no. 1, mm. 46–47 with pickup (bridge) and mm. 48–50 with pickup (lead-in), discussed in the article mentioned above. There is another such example as well as other bridges and lead-ins in op. 11, no. 2, as follows:

Exposition

• Primary theme (with lead-in): mm. 1–13

• Counterstatement becomes bridge (or short transition): mm. 13–15

• Secondary theme: mm. 16–19 with pickup

• Closing theme: mm. 20–26

• False recapitulation becomes bridge: mm. 26–28

Contrasting middle

• Interior theme: mm. 29–37

• Counterstatement becomes bridge (or short retransition): mm. 38–39

Recapitulation

• Secondary/primary theme: mm. 40–49 with pickup

• "Interior theme" as bridge (or short transition): mm. 50–55