Hello!

If you would like to participate in discussions, please sign in or register.

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week

Due to changing needs and technologies, the SMT Executive Board has decided to retire SMT Discuss (effective Nov. 9, 2021). Posts will be preserved for archival purposes, but new posts and replies are no longer permitted.

Suggestions for Free Software to make Quizzes with Audio

I'm interested in making an online quiz where short audio segments are played and students have to choose the correct response from images, a staff, or via scale degrees. Ideally the quiz would be in a format where the software won't need constant updating over the years. I imagine this must exist already somwhere?

Google Forms - can't/shouldn't be used for educational purposes

Google for Education - requires an institutional subscription

Adapt - free and great but requires additional programming for audio

Sign In or Register to comment.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
    • Hello Derek. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can do this with moodlecloud (The standalone, free version of Moodle.) You might not need the entire LMS feature, but you can create and track quizzes here. I used to do our placement test this way, and I remember that the quiz feature was quite robust, although we didn't specifically use audio in that assessment.

The only caveat is that Moodle will delete your account (with ample warning) if you don't log in for a certain period of time (3 months, I think). So just keep an eye on it over the summer. 

Hope that's helpful.

Jena

• I've had some success at doing this type of thing in our Moodle shell for aural theory quizzes; there is a considerable learning curve in mastering the various quiz creation options, but there's a great deal of flexibility and power once you figure it all out. Our placement exam also includes audio portions.

Nathan Baker

Music Theory Coordinator, Casper College, WY

nbaker@caspercollege.edu

• Derek, unenthusiastically and by elimination I'd also cast a vote in favor of Moodle, which I've used to pose audio-based questions and, rather experimentally, receive audio answers. MoodleCloud is indeed free, while an entirely unrestricted self-hosted instance of the open-source software, which circumnavigates the restrictions mentioned by Jena, easy to set up on a Linux server. Attaching a screenshot with the relevant multimedia controls: https://cloud.tekhn.ee/s/CYMyxNDZBwgqSfy. Feel free to write if you think I can help.